101-year-old college student prepares to graduate alongside her granddaughter

 

An 101-year-old student in Virginia plans to graduate college alongside her granddaughter after dropping out when she got pregnant with her first child 81 years ago. Sarah Simpkins has just completed her first semester of Brightpoint Community College's early childhood education program with a 3.5-grade point average. I returned to school. It was never out of my mind,' Simpkins told WWBT, adding that she hopes to inspire somebody else.

The centenarian dropped out of Allen University in Columbia, South Carolina, at the age of 20 after becoming pregnant with the first of her 12 children.

'So I went on, and I got married,' the 101-year-old said. She spent most of her life growing her family and raising kids but.

Simpkins moved from Brooklyn, New York, to Virginia at the age of 96 to live with her granddaughter Halimah Shepherd-Crawford, who is now enrolled at the same community college located in Chester. 

'I study the assignment, explain it to her and then she gives me her answers,' Shepherd-Crawford said. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments